High-flying South African singles tennis player Lloyd Harris continued his rise in the world ranks claiming his second ATP Challenger in the United States on Sunday evening.
Harris beat South African-born Aussie Marc Polmans 6-2, 6-2 at the Stockton Pro Open in California.
The 21-year-old sensation made easy work of Polmans breaking Australia’s serve in his first game while he also broke him in the seventh to wrap up the first set.
The second set started in the same way with Polmans losing his serve in the opening game with Harris holding his to claim the victory.
“I felt like I played the bigger points better, and I was more aggressive,” Harris told The Record newspaper in Stockton.
“I took the initiative, I was the one attacking and going for winners, and I think that’s the reason I took five of them.”
Harris won his quarter-final against Christoper Eubanks of the United States from a set down to march on to the semi-final to set up a clash against Jordan Thompson.
He beat Thompson 7-6, 6-2 to make it into his third ATP Challenger final this year highlighting his class in a breakthrough season.
“It was a really good final. I got an early break in the first game and I was returning very well,” Harris said.
“I was just trying to stay mentally focused and positive with all the conditions. I felt I adapted to the situation very well.”
The victory follows
Harris was ultimately stopped by three-time ATP Tour winner Bernard Tomic of Australia just a point shy of reaching the quarterfinal.
He reached the main draw at the US Open last month where he suffered a 2-6 2-6 3-6 defeat to former world No 6 Gilles Simon of France.
The Cape Town-based Harris won his maiden ATP Challenger title in August when he won the Kentucky Bank Tennis Championships in Lexington, Kentucky.